Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Leave it Better


Hello!  I'm Chris, a software architect by day, indie dev by night.  For my first post, I'd thought I'd share why I do indie dev.

I was inspired to write this post after reading Robert Belluso's blog post for his game Little Bird Game where he lists out reasons to be an indie dev.  I read through his list and found myself sharing many of his reasons (who doesn't want to be their own boss?), but one of the primary reasons that I do indie dev was missing from that list, not surprising as it is a highly personal thing.   This reason is, as corny as it may sound, is that I'd like to do some good in this world.

Now I'm not trying to save the world through gaming like the way Bill and Ted saved the world through music (although that would be awesome, imagine the world united in Sonic and Mario in harmony), but I'd like to make a positive impact, no matter how small that may be.  If a kid plays my game and it makes their day, great.  If another kids plays my game and it makes their day, and goes on to cure cancer, even better.  A the very least I'd like to give back some of what I make and put that money for some good.  I'm lucky enough that in this day, a code monkey like me can accomplish something as an indie dev and so that's what I'd like to do.

So why the need to do some good in this world?  I don't really know the answer to that.  But it goes a little back to something my mom used to tell me as a kid when I would make a mess of things: to leave it better than I found it.  The world is a little bit of a mess sometimes, and I'm going to try to leave the world a little better than I found it, one game at a time. :)

No comments: